As the first step in the decommissioning of sasCommunity.org the site has been converted to read-only mode.
Here are some tips for How to share your SAS knowledge with your professional network.
Solutions in the Round
We are gearing up for Solutions in the Round at WUSS 2015 and we need your help! Please use the section below to suggest or comment on topic ideas.
Solutions in the Round was a new section at the 2014 Western Users of SAS Software conference (WUSS). This section was comprised of several interactive discussions based on topics chosen by attendees. Look for new Solutions in the Round sections in future conferences.
But you do not need to wait for a conference to participate in the discussion.
There are several ways to solve the same problem, and some solutions are more appropriate in certain scenarios than others. In each Solutions in the Round topic, a programming task is posed, and participants discuss the various ways to address it using SAS. Part of the discussion includes not only the merits/advantages of each solution, but the disadvantages as well. At the conference the discussion can be live; otherwise the discussions can be captured here on SASCommunity.org, where everyone can continue to contribute.
So this is where we need your help:
- We are always looking for potential topics for discussion.
- We want to reach all different skill levels, and encourage everyone to participate in the discussions.
- You can contribute to the list of questions that are looking for solutions.
- Review the existing solutions
- Add your experiences
- what worked for you
- what did not work for you
- Add alternative solutions
- Add your experiences
Thanks for your help!
Topic Ideas Here
The discussion has started on these topics.
- how to specify/change the order of the variables on the PDV
- how many observations are in the data set?
- ways to control the order of classification levels when the desired order is neither internal or formatted.
- Professional Development--Interviewing Techniques and Tips
- How to modify descriptor information on a dataset (labels, variable names, etc), with or without processing the records
- How can I build a list of data set names in a folder?
Topics looking for solutions - start a article if you have one or more potential solutions. Add a topic if you want to start a discussion.Italic text*Creating Microsoft Excel output from SAS (lots of ways to do it)
- Columns-to-rows or rows-to-columns (transpose, split, stack)
- Recoding variables (CASE in SQL, FORMATs, select in DATA step)
- Macro processing vs By-Group processing vs other
- LIBNAME, FILENAME: statements vs. functions, pros and cons
- when to use PROC DS2 vs. the DATA step
- table lookup methods - pros & cons of each method (hash, formats, SQL, etc.)
- additional error handling features you would like to see added to the SAS system - DATA step and DS2 (does this topic fit into the "round" section charter?)
- when to use the DATA step and/or PROC LUA (SAS 9.4) to generate source code instead of the macro language
- Professional development: Interviewing techniques
- Quick tips for Enterprise Guide
- Little known capabilities of PROC CONTENTS
- Tracking changes similar to MS Word
- Customizing your GUI and SAS menus
- Powerful functions
- SAS program validation
If you are interested in facilitating a discussion, comment here
Are you attending a future conference? If so let us know if you would like to help facilitate or participate in a Solution in the Round session.
Solutions in the Round is an exciting new section introduced [at WUSS 2014].
The format is simple:
- We sit in a circle and discuss the many ways to approach and address a programming problem, *We'll identify situations where one approach might be more useful than another.
- We keep notes, and those notes are posted on sasCommunity.org where we can continue the discussion and allow others to join in after the conference.
- We hope to engage users from all different perspectives and experience levels to participate in these discussions.
- Solutions in the Round -- Check if a Variable Exists in a Dataset
- Solutions in the Round -- Converting from Character to Numeric and Numeric to Character
- Solutions in the Round -- How Can I Build a List of Dataset Names in a Folder?
- Solutions in the Round -- How Many Observations in the Dataset
- Solutions in the Round -- How to Modify Descriptor Information without Processing Records
- Solutions in the Round -- How to Order the Variables on the PDV
- Solutions in the Round -- INTX, INTNX, and INTCK
- Solutions in the Round -- Ways to Control the Order of Classification Levels when the Desired Order is Neither Internal nor Formatted
- Solutions in the Round -- SAS Program Validation Best Practices
- Solutions in the Round -- Professional Development: Interviewing Tips and Techniques