Glossary for Comments
A Glossary for Program Comments
A wise man (whose name I cannot remember) once wrote: A beginner doesn't use comments. An intermediate user uses comments to explain what he did. An expert uses comments to explain what he did NOT do.
What goes in comments?
- Idiolect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiolect
- Natural Language: Albanian, Chinense, Danish, English, French, German, etc.
- PseudoCode http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Courses/cs482/2003su/handouts/pseudocode.pdf
- allocate, v.
- choose variable name
- assign value to variable
- assign, v.,
- lookup table, n., a table with a Primary Key that contains columns with text explanations;
fact tables are linked to lookup tables with FactTable.ForeignKey = LookUpTable.PrimaryKey; database term: dimension table; SAS shortcut: formats;
- order, v., by-var,
- n., a list of items,
- v., to assign
- stratify, v., to arrange, to order, to stack: use by-var with procedures; proc freq cross-tab: tables A * B;
- unique, to make unique: proc sort data = ... noduprecs|nodupkey; by by-var(s);
--macro maven == the radical programmer 14:51, 13 June 2008 (EDT)