State of Oregon SAS Users Group (SOSUG)
The State of Oregon SAS Users Group exists to help State Employees and other users across Oregon learn more about SAS and also assist in other areas related to statistics and research.
Although SOSUG consists primarily of state employees, any and all SAS users in our neighborhood are welcome to attend a SOSUG meeting and be part of our group. There are no membership fees or dues, no official membership roster, and no need to register to attend a meeting. However, if you would like to be added to our mailing list, which includes periodic e-mails regarding upcoming SOSUG events, contact Tasha Chapman or Don Gallogly.
Meetings are held on a bi-monthly basis. Our next meeting is:
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
The 3rd annual Oregon Day SAS Conference will be held at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland from 8:30am-4:30pm. We have quite a few presenters on deck from SAS Institute and other SAS experts across the country.
Featured presentations include:
• What’s New in SAS® 9.4?
• PDF vs. HTML: Can’t We All Just Get Along
• Essentials of PDV: Directing the Aim to Understanding the DATA Step!
• Around the World With PROC GEOCODE
• Logistic Regression: What Is It and What Can I Learn From It?
• WHERE, Oh, WHERE Art Thou? A Cautionary Tale for Using WHERE Statements and WHERE= Options
• Managing and Monitoring Statistical Models
• …and much, much more!
More information and registration details here: http://www.sas.com/en_us/events/users-groups/oregon-conference-2014/overview.html
The Labor and Industries Building is at:
350 Winter St. NE
Salem, Oregon 97301
Metered parking is available on Winter St. and in the nearby capitol mall parking garage off of Chemeketa St.
The meeting rooms are in publicly accessible areas of the building, so there is no need to check in.
Oregon Day Proceedings
Check out proceedings from the Oregon Day Conference - a joint full day conference hosted by the State of Oregon SAS Users Group and the Portland Area SAS Users Group.
For more presentation proceedings from previous SOSUG events, check out the SOSUG Tools and Presentations page.
We’ve got a new web address!
If you’ve ever had trouble remembering the SOSUG website address, you’re in luck because we just made life simpler! To get to the SOSUG website, just go to www.SOSUG.org. Same great site, now with a new easy to remember address!
Past SOSUG presentations
Presented papers from our last meeting:
- June 19, 2014 - Manipulating Date Fields, by Sata Hackenbruck, Oregon Department of Human Services, Office of Forecasting, Research, and Analysis
- April 19, 2014 - Propensity scores and propensity score analysis: what it is, why you might want to use it for observational data, and some steps to getting it done in SAS, by Matt Laidler, Oregon Health Authority
To see all other previous SOSUG presentations, as well as other tips, tricks, and tools created by or recommended by SOSUG members, check out the SOSUG Tools and Presentations page.
For more SAS help, also check out the all new SOSUG Library and the SOSUG Newsletter Archive.
Open call for presenters
We welcome all types of presentations related to SAS. You don’t necessarily have to put together a formal presentation. You are welcome to show us something new that you've learned, or ask the group a SAS question that has been burning in your mind for a while.
Not sure what to present on? Here are a few ideas to help get you going:
- Examples of analytical problems and how they were addressed in SAS
- How you're applying SAS in your work projects
- For those with a programming or technical background, present on Programming 101. What should SAS users know about general programming?
- For those with a math or stats background, present on some interesting statistics you’ve been using
- Presentation of a topic given at a prior SAS conference that others were unable to attend (or for a future conference, for those who would like the practice)
Remember, the presentations don't always have to be you teaching the group. You can also bring any questions you've had or a problem that you'd like help solving.
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
3rd annual Oregon Day SAS Conference
8:30am - 4:30pm
Oregon Convention Center, Portland
Thursday, December 18, 2014
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Room F (in the basement)
Labor and Industries Building, Salem
Featured Presentation: TBA
Other regional groups
Check out these other SAS user groups in the Pacific Northwest region:
- PDXSUG - Portland Area SAS Users Group
- PUGSUG - Puget Sound SAS Users Group
- VanSUG - Vancouver (BC) SAS Users Group
- SUAVe - SAS Users Association of Victoria, eh?
- Western Users of SAS Software
The State of Oregon SAS Users Group Executive Committee includes Tasha Chapman (DHS), Don Gallogly (DCBS), Nathan Johnson (DCBS), and Dagan Wright (OHA). If you're interested in volunteering for SOSUG, please contact us via e-mail.
Keep checking this site for meeting updates and new postings of presentation papers.