As the first step in the decommissioning of sasCommunity.org the site has been converted to read-only mode.
Here are some tips for How to share your SAS knowledge with your professional network.
SouthEast SAS Users Group/2011 Neighborhood Guide
Here are a few points of convenience or interest within walking distance of the Hilton Mark Center, the conference venue. Note that facilities and amenities on the hotel premises are not presented here. Presumably that information will be provided directly to hotel guests.
This web page can be loaded directly using the URL http://tinyurl.com/sesug11walk
All walking directions use a common starting point: the intersection of Mark Center Drive and Seminary Road. Exit the hotel lobby and turn right. At the stop sign, turn left and walk toward the traffic signal.
- BB&T bank 703-575-4160, 7-Eleven 703-578-6060
- Walk across Seminary Road and through the Southern Towers gate. Continue through the parking lot but veer gently to the right. Walk past the Sherwood building on your left and look for the one-story building housing the store and bank. Round trip: approximately one half mile.
Seminary Plaza Shopping Center
- Magruder's (groceries) 703-562-0362, CVS (pharmacy) 703-370-6440, Quiznos Subs 703-370-1241, 7-Eleven 703-461-1903, Genova Pizza 703-370-8118, SunTrust bank 703-212-6213
- Walk across Seminary Road. Turn right and use the sidewalk between the fence and and the road. Follow the sidewalk as it ramps up to the I-395 overpass, crosses, and descends. At the next corner, Kenmore Ave., turn left and look for the shopping center on the right. Round trip: approximately one mile.
Shops at Mark Center (formerly Hamlet Shopping Center)
- SunTrust Bank 703-578-6125, CVS (pharmacy) 703-671-5600, Starbucks 703-820-4066, McDonald’s 703-379-3806, Dairy Queen 703-931-9400, Subway 703-820-1211, Giant (groceries) 703-578-1089
- Turn left on Seminary Road and follow the sidewalk as it curves to the left onto Beauregard Street. Continue on Beauregard and cross when it is convenient. When you pass the third traffic signal (Reading Ave.), the stores will be on your right. Round trip: approximately one mile.
Build America Plaza
- 7-Eleven 703-578-6069, Stone Hot Pizza 703-778-7000, several small restaurants and carry-outs serving Ethiopian and Middle Eastern food
- Cross Seminary Road, then turn left. Cross Beauregard St. and continue on Seminary Rd. until the sidewalk curves to the right onto George Mason Drive. The center will be on your right. Round trip: approximately 1.5 miles.
In addition to the fast-food and carryout places in the shopping centers identified above.
- Clydes at Mark Center 703-820-8300
- Follow the directions for the Shops at Mark Center, but go only as far as the second light. The restaurant will be on your right, but the Beauregard Street side is heavily landscaped and there is not much signage, so it's easy to miss. If you reach the shopping center, you've gone a block too far. Round trip: approximately 3/4 mile.
- Courtyard Cafe, in the Marriott Courtyard Hotel 703-751-4510
- The Marriott is across the street from the Seminary Plaza Shopping Center, so follow those directions. Round trip: approximately one mile.
- Illlusions Thai Cafe 703-575-1999
- In the Shops at Mark Center, so follow those directions. Round trip: approximately one mile.
- Skyline Cafe-Ethiopian Cuisine 703-820-0240
- In Build America Plaza; follow those directions.
- Bati Restaurant & Lounge 703-379-1799
- Another Ethiopian establishment in the Build America Plaza.
- The Village at Shirlington
- It's a stretch to say that this is within walking distance, but it does offer a nice variety of shops and restaurants.
- Cross Seminary Road, then turn left. At the next intersection, turn right onto Beauregard. Continue, crossing into Arlington (where the street name changes to Walter Reed Drive) and as far as Arlington Mill Drive. Turn right, walk to Randolph Street, and turn right again. Round trip: approximately four miles.
Or look at Urbanspoon's much longer list.
Points of Interest
- Fort Ward Museum & Historic Site (Fort Ward Park) 703-746-4848
- A restored Civil War fort and museum in a public park; museum hours 10 to 5 Tuesday to Saturday, 12 to 5 Sunday
- Follow directions for Seminary Plaza. Continue north on Kenmore as it merges with Van Dorn. Continue on Van Dorn to the light at Braddock Road. Cross Braddock, turn right and walk until you see the Fort Ward gate on the left. Round trip: approximately 2.25 miles.
- Winkler Botanic Preserve; 703-578-7888
- Woodsy trails through grounds tucked between tall buildings and a busy highway. Hours are limited so call to confirm that gate is open.
- Turn left on Seminary Road and follow the sidewalk as it curves to the left onto Beauregard Street. Continue on Beauregard to Roanoke. Turn left and follow Roanoke as it curves left through an apartment complex to the gate. Round trip: approximately 2.25 miles.
- Dora Kelley Nature Park
- Stream valley park with both paved multipurpose trails and mulch-covered nature trail.
- Follow directions for Shops at Mark Center. Continue on Beauregard. Look for the trailhead on the right about a half block past Sanger. Round trip: approximately 2.25 miles.
- Schlesinger Concert Hall and Arts Center 703-845-6156
- On the grounds of Northern Virginia Community College. There are no performances on the schedule Oct. 22-25, but the gallery is open 10-4 on weekdays.
- Turn left on Seminary Road. At the intersection with Beauregard, cross both streets (carefully; there's a lot of turning traffic) and walk north on Beauregard. Continue until you see the entrance sign for the college, where you will turn left and walk up the hill. Schlesinger Hall will be on your right. Round trip: approximately 1.25 miles.
- Hampton Meadows Park and Stonegate Archaeological Preserve
- A small stream valley park lined with fitness equipment. Within the park, the preserve comprises a small stream-side site where artifacts dating back thousands of years were found. As fascinating as this is to contemplate, there is actually little to see.
- Near Fort Ward Park. Follow directions for Seminary Plaza. Continue north on Kenmore as it merges with Van Dorn. Continue on Van Dorn to the light at Braddock Road. Cross both Van Dorn and Braddock, then follow Braddock using the undrepass and look on your right for the wooden stairway descending into the park. Round trip: approximately 1.5 miles.
- Burke Branch Library; 4701 Seminary Road 703-519-6000
- Follow directions for Seminary Plaza, but don't turn left on Kenmore. Instead walk another block on Seminary Road, to Library Lane. Round trip: approximately 1 mile.
- Alexandria Heritage Trail. A walk/bike route incorporating several of the sites mentioned above and well as many others throughout the city of Alexandria.