As the first step in the decommissioning of sasCommunity.org the site has been converted to read-only mode.
Here are some tips for How to share your SAS knowledge with your professional network.
Talk:Gardener for sasCommunity.org
A couple of questions for our gardeners so far:
- Some pages will need cleanup that only a Sysop can perform. Perhaps we need a category for those pages so the the Sysop's can easily find them. A gardener could explain their rationale on the discussion tab.
- Should we have a category for Gardeners so those users who volunteer their time to garden can easily find other Gardeners?
--Donh 21:52, 29 April 2007 (EDT)
I will add geographies to the USA opportunities on an infrequent basis.
--User:PennSAS 12:28, 30 May 2007 (EDT)
Additional gardening tasks
Here is a list of some gardening tasks not currently mentioned in the job description.
- Put appropriate wiki-links into dead-end pages.
- Find articles that can or should have wiki-links to orphaned pages.
- Find content for wanted pages, or else remove or change the existing wiki-links from the pages that want them if the titles of the wanted pages are not appropriate.
- Keep an eye on some of the other special pages too, as they can identify where attention is needed.
- Check, and view, recent changes and new pages so that you can keep up with what is going on with other users activity.
Also, wiki security relies on active monitoring by users to repair damage. The longer damage remains unrepaired or harmful editing remains unchallenged the more that sort of activity is encouraged. So repair damage by undoing harmful edits, challenging the editor via discussion and user talk pages and alerting administrators to persistent offenders who do not desist. - Cameron 05:27, 17 August 2012 (EDT)
I disagree with the statement that " Categories provide the foundation for how users navigate thru the site and find pages of interest. "
Rather, " Wiki words provide the foundation for how users navigate through the wiki and find pages of interest. "
Categories are simply a special form of wiki word that cause the page title where the Category: wiki word appears to also appear in an alphabetical list on the corresponding Category: page.
The power of wiki words is that the wiki words become the page title that the wiki words link to and the contents of the page can then explain those words and also link to other wiki word pages through other, or more, wiki words. The beauty is that, provided it is done properly, the wiki words become self explainatory. And the wiki pages become far more useful than a category ever can be. While a category can list the associated page titles, the wiki words and other words can be used to describe each link in far more informative ways.