Taxonomy Committee Summary Notes from sgfeb.org

From sasCommunity
Jump to: navigation, search

Note this page is here only for historical reasons, these were part of the planning for sasCommunity.org

--Statprof 18:39, 18 March 2009 (UTC)


Taxonomy Committee Information

Membership

  • Bob Hamer
  • Don Henderson (chair)
  • Phil Miller
  • Greg Nelson

Here is the sample page that was shown at the meeting in Cary SamplePage

Preliminary Thoughts

The taxonomy should be flexible and should support delegation of adminitrative responsibility to defined owners for various areas (this requirement was noted on the Infrastructure page as well).

We will likely want a home page that is the default page for all visitors (whether registered or not). Registered users should be able to create their own home page with links to the parts of the SAS community they are most involved with (e.g., columns they write, blogs they participate in) as well as external links (e.g., their web-site, papers, etc.).

The Community Home page should also include links to the various subsets or groups, e.g.,

  • the SAS-L community
  • Conferences/Events
  • Geographies
  • Subject Matter Areas

noting that many of these will contain "cross-links." For example, Geographies might have a sub-menu for events; likewise Conferences will likely have a sub-menu for Geographies.

Our initial challenge is to come up with the initial top-level sub-communities/functions.

Conference Call/Meeting Notes


Standing Call Schedule Fridays 9:30am-10:00am Local Number: (If you are in the local Cary calling area): 919-531-0660 Toll – Free Number: (US & Puerto Rico Only): 877-641-0660 Moderator Code 1060575 Participant Code 106057


Friday, November 24, 2006
Action Items
  • Need to research the kinds of offerings of other online communities (see discussion below). Bob agreed to look at My Space first.
  • Bob will draft and distribute some thoughts on why we want to encourage visitors to register and how we can encourage registration
  • Don to find out when the list of products that were written on the flip charts will be distributed. If he has a draft copy, he will distribute to the committee members.
  • Don to check with Greg regarding his availability at 9am on Friday since Bob and Phil's schedules conflict after 10am.
Summary of Discussions
  • Discussed the preliminary thoughts above and agreed they were a reasonable starting point.
  • Even though there is overlap with the Data Model committee, we agreed that we need to research registration. It needs to collect minimal data (e.g., just an email address and an ID - which is not the email); needs to be confirmed by clicking on a link in an email; and should be free. Other information related to customizing services can be provided later/elsewhere.
  • By default, content should be viewable regardless of a user has signed in or has registered. Only registered users can contribute content or can customize a home page.
Post Call Update

A German site, [1], for SAS users was posted on SAS-L today. Thanks to Google translation, you can see an [2] version of it.


Another Product----

Something which I do not think we had on our list of products was a way in which members of the community could discuss the site itself and make suggestions for changes or additions to the site. This exists on other community site.


Friday, December 1, 2006
Action Items

Actions items from prior call completed or in progress. Current outstanding action items:

  • Bob will draft and distribute some thoughts on why we want to encourage visitors to register and how we can encourage registration
  • Divide up the the other communities we've identified among the four of us to research in more detail (see below.
Summary of Discussions

Discussed the observation that many of the offerings/ideas in the list of products identified in the meeting in Cary would come into being as a natural evolution of a effective collaborative site. Thus, we agreed to look at the communities we identified last week (plus a few others) to see what we liked and what we did not like about each of them.

The plan is to use this Wiki to document those thoughts. Depending on the length, those can either be other pages we link to from this page or can be included inline.

We agreed to split up the list of sites and the assignments would be specified here. The goal is the have the initial survey of the sites and have some thoughts on each documented here prior to our call on December 8. Note that Linked In was assigned to both Phil and Don. After the call it occured to Don that perhaps this was worth having two folks look at since it seems to be a great idea, but also seems to be under-utilized and perhaps is worthy of an extra set of eyes to determine why.

Bob's Reviews
Don's Reviews
  • My Google Observations/Comments
    • Has no concept of a portal or a home page - at least nothing that is obvious
    • It does integrate with Google Groups and Topics and automatically shows the groups you are a member of or topics you have expressed interest in.
    • Uses email (need not be a Google email address) as the userid----
  • eBay - My eBay and Community Observations/Comments
    • Allows extensive browsing/searching without having the register. Buying and selling require registration (is not necessarily your email, but it can be). Can register to only buy and can add seller capability later.
    • Provides for a number of facilities akin to a Home Page - and they are different based on what kind of user you are.
    • Offers BLOGS, discussion boards, groups, an area to contact experts, chat rooms
    • A fairly integrated community for buying/selling virtually anything

A good model for the breadth of offerings

  • Windows Live Observations/Comments
    • A more traditional Portal environment than Google or eBay
    • A nice default template
    • Very easily customized (within templates)
    • Nice tabbed dialog that offers categories of how to search for content: Popular, All, By Provider, Search
    • Can integrate RSS and ATOM feeds
    • Automatically integrates your hotmail account (not sure of other email can be integrated)

A good model for how the user can customize their home page

  • LinkedIn - links by current and former jobs Observations/Comments
    • Lots of users who have registered, but seems to be rarely used by the masses
    • Seems to be used to connect to colleagues and others with similar interests
    • The interesting part of this site is trying to determine why it is underused
    • Perhaps the reason is that the reasons you might network is simply not present, or if present, not obvious.
    • Needs the concept of a portal or home page that can be customized by the user.
    • Not clear that there is a way to join or create topic groups (like Google)

Value here is the networking facilities. Combining these with the breadth of eBay and a portal/home page like MSN live might be very appealing

Greg's Reviews
Phil's Reviews
Friday, December 8, 2006
Action Items

Actions items from prior call completed or in progress. Current outstanding action items:

  • Bob will draft and distribute some thoughts on why we want to encourage visitors to register and how we can encourage registration
  • Review the list of implications distributed to the listserve to see which ones belong to the Taxonomy Committee (obviously, starting with the list under the Taxonomy heading).
  • Complete review of sites as agreed during December 1 call.
Summary of Discussions

Only Phil and Don able to make the call. Most of what was discussed reflected in the Action Items listed above.

Don will be on vacation next week, so Phil, Bob and Greg will conduct the call. Don will check back on his return to determine if/when we should have our call for the week of the 18th (as scheduled it would be Friday the 22nd at 9:30am).

Friday, January 19, 2007
Action Items

Actions items from prior call completed or in progress. Current outstanding action items:

  • Bob will draft and distribute some thoughts on why we want to encourage visitors to register and how we can encourage registration
  • Review the list of implications distributed to the listserve to see which ones belong to the Taxonomy Committee (obviously, starting with the list under the Taxonomy heading).
  • Complete review of sites as agreed during December 1 call.

New Action Items

  • Perhaps we need a Vision statement - Greg will do a first draft


Summary of Discussions

Phil, Greg and Don on the call. In addition to the action items above we reviewed discussed the idea of initial offerings (a Wiki for the SAS-L FAQ and something for presenters at SAS Global Forum to upload other types of content related to their presentations.

Don also reviewed his conversation with Charles Patridge regarding what he felt LUGs needed to support their web-sites (Charles' email to SAS-L was fowarded to the EB listserve).

Friday, January 26, 2007
Action Items

We decided that the action items from prior calls were perhaps less important given the schedule and should be revisited after we have selected a vendor. The new Action items are:

  • Greg will do some wireframe screen mockups that highlight the proposed functionality for use at the regional summit next weekend. Phil/Don agreed to review and comment.
  • Based on how the call goes with Socialtext on Monday, January 29 we may want to consider leveraging their thirty day free trial offer to do a more in-depth analysis of their capabilities and whether they are an option.